Tonkaweya

 Tonkaweya: Native American term used by the Tonkawa tribe meaning "They all stay together." 


 I have always known that my family's land would be precious to me and a wellspring of possibilities around which my adult life would unfold, however it hasn't been until more recently that such things have been taking substantive, tangible shape.  


In the spring of 2016 I traveled to Barcelona to spend the month visiting my good friend who was there teaching English as a second language, and I spent most of my afternoons walking around the city, finding random cafes, drinking way too much espresso, consuming one too many croissants, reading Wendell Berry to my hearts content, and dreaming about the farmhouse and what it could become someday. I saw such a beautiful (albeit idealistic) scene unfold in my minds eye, even down to the husband who didn't yet have a face and children with me in the garden.  Kinda hard to plan for though when you're 26 and bummin around Spain with $100 left and plans next in the docket to go backcountry horse wrangling in Montana. And yet, the heart wants what the heart wants! In my many hours of dreaming and reading in those cafes, I was also intrigued by an ongoing interest in the Lakota language (spoken by the Lakota people of the Sioux tribes) and in one of my many linguistic searches I came across the word Tonkaweya, which is actually not Sioux associated but rather belonged to the Tonkawa tribe out of Waco, Texas and means "They all stay together."  This word sat with me for some time as the lens through which I re-evaluated all that my family's home had been to me as an individual, and as a family collective as well. 


If you know the Moores, you know we are a family of many and very strong traditions.  We are a close knit clan, and my parents have created a beautifully intentional family life within which we have had the freedom each to grow abundantly and with a strong spiritual foundation under our feet.  My years away at college and those that followed exploring down many different walks of life quickly made apparent just how unique and special my family's practices were in the greater context of our modern culture.   As Danny has enjoyed saying since the beginning of his time amidst us all "You Moore's are the biggest bunch of weirdos, the best kind, but weirdos comparatively.  And I love it."  The eloquence cannot be denied. ;) 

Often in his writing, Wendell Berry emphasizes the blessing of belonging to others, belonging to a place. That has been my joy in life, to continually rediscover my belonging to my family and to this land.  It is a good thing to belong to others, above self.  And in order to belong to a people and place, you must stay together, and throughout the seasons of the year, reaffirm the very foundation upon which you have grown in grace, duty and love to one another.  

In an age of increasing familiar division and discord, self worship and relational starvation,  I feel truly blessed that we have a people to ground us, and a place that both requires and gives in such abundance.

 

May we always stay together, united in the marrow of daily life and devotion. 




Comments

Popular Posts